Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Soak the beans

Do you soak your dry beans before you cook them? If you are using a crock pot, there is no need to do this. They will soak as they cook and turn out fine. However, if you don't have the time or find yourself in the situation I did today, both crock pots are being used for dinner, there is a simple way I have found to soak the beans.

Place your dry beans in a colander that will fit in a big bowl. Wash the beans under running water in the sink (while in the colander), then place the colander in the bowl. Boil enough water to cover the beans and pour it over the beans.

They will soak while in the colander, then when you are ready to put them in the pot, simply pick the colander up and pour them in your pot.

This will prevent you from having to fish them out of the bowl or making a mess by pouring the water/bean mix through the colander. It keeps everything neat and tidy and saves you a bit of time.

All the best!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great tip! I have never even bothered to soak my beans. How much cooking time do you save doing that? I had always washed my beans real well just prior to cooking them on the stove.

Anonymous said...

You have a very useful website. I will be back often to see what is new.

Anonymous said...

I have soaked the beans overnight but like you, I have found it isn't something you have to do. I always cook beans in the crock pot too.