Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Eggplant Spaghetti

Jenn wanted spaghetti tonight, but she doesn't like meaty sauces. I like meaty sauces. See the problem here?


My solution to this was eggplant. I decided on fried eggplant with spaghetti over it. The eggplant cost $1.50, which is a CHEAP alternative to meat.


Prepare your spaghetti as you normally would.


Cut your eggplant into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Use standard breading procedures. (Into flour, then into egg and then into bread crumbs). When I prepared my bread crumbs, I discovered I did not have enough, so I added dry oatmeal, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, and Parmesan cheese. The oatmeal added some bulk to the crumbs and made it a bit healthier.


Fry these or bake them. When they are golden brown and delicious, put them on a plate and top with your spaghetti.


Serve with salad and a bread if you wish, but this is a hearty meal that really does not need the bread.


You will notice that I did not include measurements, depending on how many pieces you are frying will determine how much you need. For every 6 pieces plan on 1 and a half cups of flour and bread crumbs each.


The eggplant will soften and become creamy in the center as it cooks. The skin will stay firm and delicious. You can change this by frying your eggplant and then adding sauce and cheese on top for a classic Eggplant Parmesan.


All the best!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That should make Jenn happy! Like you, I prefer meaty spaghetti sauce but this is a great alternative and easier on the budget.

Anonymous said...

I am not a big spaghetti fan but I think the eggplant with the spaghetti sauce sounds great. I am sure spaghetti lovers will try this one!
dette