Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hillbilly Ginger Chicken and Broccoli

We went oriental tonight, or at least my take on it. I used the chicken nuggets and broccoli from July's Angel Food menu on this one.


Put on a pot of rice. It will be finished at about the same time this dinner is.


4 cups of breaded chicken nuggets (not sure the weight, I just dumped them out).

2 cups of frozen broccoli

3 tablespoons of oil

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons flour


Begin by heating your pan and oil over medium high heat. Brown the chicken in the oil.


While the chicken is browning, in a small bowl, combine:

2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 tablespoons of ground ginger

1 tablespoon of garlic

2 tablespoons of soy sauce

2 cups boiling water

Set this aside.


Take your browned chicken out of the pan and lay on a paper towel to drain. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan. Add the butter and the flour. Cook this for one minute and mash the lumps out of it. This will form the thickener for the sauce.


Pour the bowl mixture into the pan and add the broccoli. Cook this over medium high heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Add your chicken, and make sure it is coated in the sauce. The sauce will absorb into the crispy coating on the chicken.


You are done and ready to serve. Fluff the rice (you didn't forget the rice did you? I told you to put it on first) and serve the chicken and broccoli over the rice.


The official HGTT enjoyed this meal tonight and said she was surprised. When I first told her what I was doing, I believe she was thinking "hooray pizza night". (That is our backup plan when I create a new recipe, if it is bad, we throw it out and order pizza).


After dinner, take the left over rice and place it in a covered container in the fridge. Tomorrow we make a very tasty dessert out of it.


All the best!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this idea! You know how I love oriental food! This gives me a great idea for use of part of the chicken nuggets on this month's Angel Food menu list.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I need to work on my fried rice since I dont like boiled rice. Thanks for the great recipe.
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/z51c4.jpg[/IMG]

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something my daughter would love. I will have to make it for her sometime. Thanks!