Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Green Tea Cheesecake

This recipe came about as a request from a loyal Hillbilly Gormet reader.

When I was first asked to make a green tea and mint cheesecake, I thought yuck! Then when I researched it a bit, green tea leaves are actually consumed in many oriental cultures on a regular basis. I was up for the challenge. I then discovered there are hundreds of green tea cheesecake recipes on the web, so I have created this one to keep it in line with the cheap and easy theme we have going here.

1 package softened cream cheese
½ cup sweet, thick milk (see instructions below)
1/3 cup green tea prepared
1/3 cup chopped green tea leaves
4 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tub whipped topping thawed
1 prepared graham cracker pie crust

To make the milk mixture, use ½ cup water, ½ cup dry milk powder and 2 tablespoons sugar. Wisk until well mixed, if you have some left over, put it in the fridge and use with your coffee tomorrow morning.

Start by creaming the cheese and sugar in a mixer. When this becomes smooth and fluffy, add the milk and liquid green tea. Mix for a few moments and it will be runny. Add the leaves and honey. After this is mixed well, remove the mixer and fold in your whipped topping. Now that your mixture is well combined pour in the crust, I used the left over chopped leaves to garnish the top of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

I used loose leaf green tea for this, because I drink green tea regularly and enjoy the whole tea ceremony experience (see the internet for more information on this). You absolutely could use tea bags for this and then after brewing, cut the bag open and pour that in the mix. Just make sure you do not have stems in there. Some tea manufactures mix stems into the bags (if you see one, pick it out).

A variation to this would be to leave the honey out and add ½ teaspoon of mint extract.

The OHGTT tasted this today on lunch and said, "This is actually pretty good and not disgusting like I thought".

I will have a picture of this up tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting recipe and I like the way you made the thick sweet milk instead of buying the condensed to save money. I had not thought of that. I can see where honey would be great with the tea. I always think if the OHGTT thought it was good I probably would too. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a green tea cheesecake but I drink green tea on a regular basis so I think I will try this.

Unknown said...

You could make it using Matcha (powdered green tea), rather than the chopped green tea leaves. Might be a little smoother.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there and could try it.

Hillbilly Gourmet said...

Great idea Jay, I was also thinking that the drink packs you get next to the Kool-Aid in the store would work for this. They make flavored green tea, which would add a bit of background flavors to it.