Sunday, August 10, 2008

Italian Eggplant

Tonight we had Hamburger Pinwheels from HillbillyHousewife.com. As a side, I made a simple Hillbilly Gormet Italian eggplant, from the leftover eggplant on spaghetti night.


½ medium eggplant diced
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small onion diced
1 beef bullion cube dissolved in ½ cup water
1/4 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
½ teaspoon pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon rosemary
½ cup parmesan cheese
3/4 cup of oatmeal


In a small casserole dish, mix everything together. Bake for 35 minutes at 350. If you want to add cheese to the top in the last 5 minutes and allow it to melt, get brown and bubbly.

The oatmeal will give this a bit of a thick texture; leave it out if you want a runny sauce. I was also thinking you could the oatmeal out and run this through the processor or blender and get a great tomato/eggplant soup.

As is, it would also be great over pasta!

Turned out quite tasty for something I threw together from the panty and the fridge!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see a new recipe up again for tonight. It sounds very good too. I believe I'd really like it over spaghetti.

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if you could come up with a salsa recipe we could make? Something that would taste similar to what we used to eat in Kpt. I can't stand bottled salsa.
dette

Anonymous said...

Dette here's a salsa recipe for you I got with my Magic Bullet blender. I've made it and it's very good but it was written to fit the size of the Magic Bullet so I'm rewording it so you can adjust it to the amount of salsa you'd like to make.

For every regular size fresh tomato you use add:
1/4 of a regular size onion
1/6 to 1/4 jalapeno pepper
1-2 cloves of fresh garlic
small sprigs of cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

You can make this chunky or liquid by choice of how high a setting on the blender you use and how long you blend. Of course, the Hillbilly Gormet can probably come up with a better recipe. =)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Beth. I will definitely try this one!
dette

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I think you'll like it. We did!