Thursday, August 28, 2008

And Now For Something Totally Different!

I have decided to take a break from cooking today. While, this is not something that I will do often, I thought that many of you would enjoy this.

My best friend (who is more like a brother) works for the National Park Service and is currently stationed at Fort Sumter. Today he was able to wrangle a trip for us to the top of Sullivan's Island lighthouse (which just came under control of the park service). For those of you familiar with lighthouses, this is the ugly boxy black and white one.

But the trip to the top was awesome! I am so grateful for the opportunity to be able to go where few have went before.






Looking up, 156 feet seems high!




I guess we are walking!






Powerful light, can be seen 3 miles out at sea!





Charleston and the Ravenel Bridge from the top.

The Atlantic Ocean and Sullivan's Island Beach from the top.

That's the end of the field trip, back to the kitchen, all of ya!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved seeing the pictures of the lighthouse. I just love lighthouses and you got a rare opportunity. Everyone needs a break from cooking now and then. I certainly would have opted to visit the lighthouse, too.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

We have gone to the beach there so many times. I've walked past the light house, taken pictures of it, asked questions about it, etc. I love lighthouses and enjoyed taking the trip via your pictures. I am so glad you and Jenn were able to do this.