Sunday, August 24, 2008

Easy Bread Pudding

Anytime I think of bread pudding, I always see the stuff on buffets that is made from white bread and is always so soggy and gross.

I have made one that was actually good. This morning I made homemade biscuits for breakfast. As usual we had some left over, so instead of giving them to the dog, I made a bread pudding.

Take your smallest crock pot and line the bottom with leftover biscuits, add 1 to two tablespoons of honey over the biscuits. Spread 1/3 cup raisins over biscuits. Turn it on low heat.

In a large mixing cup, add two cups milk (I used reconstituted), add two tablespoons vanilla flavor, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon sugar. Whisk to blend. Add 3/4 cup coconut and whisk again. Pour this over the biscuits.

Cook for about 1 hour on low and check. The biscuits will absorb the liquid and everything will become thick. This came out with a custard consistency and was very good.

The OHGTT has approved this dish, even though she was skeptic of it. Her exacts words were "The flavor is great". The OHGTT in training absolutely loved it and while only 7 months old she said "gggggggggggejjjjjjkasssssssssjdkhwiqu". Which loosely translates to "GIVE ME MORE!" I expect within in a year, she will be the new OHGTT. :)

I am also interested in trying this with fruit. I believe that if you leave out the coconut and raisins, yet add blueberries, strawberries or peaches it would be great. Should any of you decide to try a variation, please keep me informed.

All the best!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds so yummy! I am sure the Ty, the coconut piglet in our house, will love this one! I'm glad the little official taste tester in training loves the new recipe, too. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Rick would love this. I will try it. If the OHGTT didn't like the texture the Official Mamaw wouldn't either. : ) I am so glad the mini Jenn is going to like most all foods! So many kids are too picky these days.
dette

Anonymous said...

this sounds delisious.