Saturday, August 23, 2008

New Poll

On the right, you will see a new poll. I wanted to draw attention to something I have noticed in my discussions with people. Most people have a very limited base of recipes that they use. Even though those same people have a shelf full of cookbooks, they still stick with those basic recipes.

As an example, one person I was talking to told me that it was Tuesday and that meant meatloaf. I asked why was Tuesday meatloaf day and he explained that each day of the week was a certain food that his family liked and it was always planned that way.

I further questioned him and asked if they ever tried new things and he stated that they didn't eat new things. They knew what they liked and they didn't need anything new. HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE LIKE THIS?

Jenn and I eat new things on almost a daily basis. Most of our suppers are things we think up while standing in the kitchen. I didn't even keep track of ingredients until I started this blog. Many times I make something and then can never recreate it, just because I don't remember everything I put in it. This is part of the adventure and I think it is great.

Think about what you fix your family and then vote in the poll on the right. I am interested in seeing how many people are stuck in that 1960's mentality that the schedule should never change.

All the best!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one reason I just love your blog! You always have new, innovative ideas. I love to try new things buy Ty is more into the classics. I am just now gettng him to try a lot of new tastes. This week it has been Moroccan chicken and tonight we're trying Chipotle chicken. He's beginning to discover he loves the new tastes. I could NEVER live with having the same menu and knowing Tuesday is meatloaf day! UGH!!! It's bad enough when you can't think of anything new to fix, much less knowing what day of the week you're having it. Thanks for helping open the world of cooking up to millions.

Anonymous said...

Although I do repeat cooking Rick's favorites we don't have any certain nights for certain foods. I have started trying some of your recipes and already found a couple he loved.