Monday, July 21, 2008

Rice is King!!!

Rice is a central component in the culinary experiences of many cultures. It has been used though out history to feed people quickly and cheaply. In our kitchen, there is always five pounds of rice. We eat it almost daily.

Rice is one of the most versatile foods you can have. Whether you eat it steamed, fluffed, fried or as a filler in other dishes, it does not matter. A simple pot of white rice can turn into a filling meal by the addition of a bullion cube and some left over vegetables, want to change that again, throw it in a pan, scramble an egg in it and now you have vegetable fried rice. Three meals, three different tastes, all from one initial cooking. I always cook a little extra, so I have leftovers in the refrigerator. It goes in breads, soup and of course pudding!

Let me give you a few examples of how to make a great rice side dish.

The chicken you had two nights ago, you saved the bones from that, right? When you put your water and rice in the pan tonight, place a couple of those chicken bones in the pot. Take them out when you serve, and your family will wonder how you achieved that excellent chicken taste. (You can do the same thing with beef, pork or wild game bones). This is healthier and has a ton of less sodium, than those boxed rice mixes in the store.

If you serve canned fruit to the kids or as a dessert, you should always save the liquid for cooking dishes in the future. Use this as part of the cooking liquid for the rice. It will concentrate and intensify the flavor of the rice. Below is an example of a mango rice, but this would be great with any fruit syrup.

Rice pudding is one of my favorite dishes. A basic rice pudding is 3 cups of rice, 2 cups of milk, 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of sugar. I like to take ½ cup of hot cocoa mix and mix that in as well. This gives a great chocolate flavor. I have also been thinking about an orange and cranberry rice pudding, which would be awesome with turkey.

Your imagination is the limit with rice. As has always been the case in Charleston, Rice is King! We eat it almost everyday. So, while I love plain white rice, I enjoy spicing it up and creating meals around the rice.

All the best!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had never saved any bones before but this is a great way to use them. I had never thought of all the ways you could use rice before. Thanks for all your good tips.

Anonymous said...

Ive got a question. For the chocolate rice pudding is that like the little packets of instant cocoa mix you are refering to? And you just mix that in after the pudding is made? Ive never even thought of chocolate rice pudding before but hey if its chocolate its gotta be good! :)

Hillbilly Gourmet said...

Yes, the instant cocoa mixes. We always get several "gourmet" versions at Christmas and living in Charleston, it's not really hot cocoa weather that often. :) You could use any chocolate mix, even Nestle Quick.

Chocolate rice pudding is awesome! Hope you try it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the response! Im definitly going to give it a try one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I've never saved the chicken bones before, just the broth. This is a brilliant way to make use of them. We love rice at our house and have stir fried rice quite often. With high blood pressure problems I'd be much better off making my own flavored rices than the bought boxed type and rice is a very inexpensive side dish to stretch the budget! Thanks for all the wonderful tips!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this rice pudding recipe, too! I love rice pudding. My mother made it for me when I was growing up quite often and she added raisins to it. I just never did think to ask how she made it so I'm saving this recipe of yours.