Thursday, July 24, 2008

CORN/CORD

It is important to have a CORN or a CORD every week. I am not talking about the vegetable, CORN stands for Clean Out Refrigerator Night, whereas CORD is Clean Out Refrigerator Day. This is an important aspect to the overall budget reducing goal. We always have leftovers when we cook. In addition to making lunches or using them another night, we try to making something new out of the leftovers. As an example, I took leftover Hamburger Helper, added leftover queso dip and a little milk. While heating on the stove, I began toasting corn chips in the oven. I then poured the cheesy hamburger mixture over the chips, topped with shredded cheese and baked it again. When the cheese melted, I topped it with leftover onions and tomatoes, along with leftover salsa from taco night. Our five various containers in the refrigerator became a one time nacho platter, which we had for lunch. It looked a bit odd having the pasta on the nachos, but it tasted wonderful!
The only limitations to this, is your imagination. To help you get started, one simple and easy backup to this is a soup. Start with a tomato sauce base and then add what you got, it will turn out wonderful, be nutritious and get rid of leftovers. But the best part, it saves money! One thing I have found is adding a table spoon or two of barbeque sauce to any soup gives it a great smoky deep flavor. Consider it a secret ingredient

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to try out that bbq sauce tip!

Anonymous said...

Do I ever need to heed this tip! I am forever more throwing out leftovers I saved I thought I'd eat later and then didn't. Soups are always a great idea to do with leftover veggies. I would have never thought to use the barbecue sauce in the soup. I'll have to try that. Thanks for such a wonderful blog! You are a natural born chef!

Anonymous said...

I've added bbq sauce to my soup for years. It is great!
dette