Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cream of Wheat Pie? CRAZY!

I have begun to do some experimenting on Sunday’s. A couple nights ago, I started thinking about pies. If someone can make a pie out of oatmeal, I can make one out of Cream of Wheat! So today was the day……

Cream of Wheat Pie

2 cups of water
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of Cream of Wheat
¼ teaspoon salt
1 16oz can fruit cocktail in light syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 deep dish pie crust (frozen)

Boil your water in a pot; add Cream of Wheat and salt. Cook for 2 minutes and add the fruit and cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes.

In a bowl, whisk the eggs. You must temper your eggs. SLOWLY add ½ cup of the hot mixture into the eggs while you are whisking. This will bring the eggs up to the same temperature. If you do not do this, you will end up with scrambled eggs in the middle of your pie! YUCK!

Add the eggs to the pot and stir.

Transfer the mixture into the pie crust and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

If the pie seems a bit runny, you can either cook it for another 10 minutes or allow it to sit for a few minutes before you serve it. It will thicken more as it cools. If you choose to cook it more, be careful you don’t burn the crust.

More than likely the top will not brown like a traditional pie. You could brush the top with melted butter as it firms up in the oven and that would help brown it a little.

The official HillbillyGormet taste tester (aka my wife) has approved of this pie. As a plus, this would be great for breakfast, since it is a breakfast cereal and it has fruit in it. No need to have that guilty feeling.

Of course, you can change it with any fruit or applesauce. I may get brave one day and add vegetables to see if I can make a great side dish with it. Imagine the looks on children’s faces when a pie is placed on the table and asparagus or broccoli is in it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think only you could have come up with this one. HA. Although I am not a big Cream of Wheat fan it sounds good. If your taste tester liked it I would too probably. : ) I am anxious to see what you come up with next.
dette

Anonymous said...

Just the name cream of wheat makes me cringe! LOL

Anonymous said...

I have always detested Cream of Wheat. However, knowing you I'd say this was probably rather tasty. Especially since you wife approved it! I agree with dette that only you could have came up with this one. LOL!