Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bean Cakes

With Hanna knocking at our door and the ever present risk of losing power, I am trying to eat as much stuff out of the freezer and refrigerator as possible.

On Sunday, I made a pot of CSA Navy Beans (which were quite tasty!), but as always I had some left over. Tonight for supper, I put them to use.

I took about two cups of beans and mashed them with a fork in a bowl, added black pepper and red pepper flakes, then 1/2 cup of leftover rice. After mixing that, I began adding cornmeal until I had a thick paste. I formed patties out of this and fried them in the cast iron skillet. I used an oil/butter mix to fry them in.

They turned out very well, but I think the addition of an egg would have been good too. They held together for the most part, but add an egg, they will bind a little tighter for you.

I topped them with shredded cheese and served them to the OHGTT, who does not like beans at all. She was unaware of what was in them and thought they were potato cakes. Needless to say, she really like them and was shocked they were made mostly of beans.

A simple reuse of leftovers. You know how much I love it!

All the best

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was sure a clever use of the leftover beans! I think I would really like them myself. That's really funny your OHGTT liked them not realizing they were mostly beans!

Anonymous said...

You are simply amazing. I know I was teasing you when you were telling me about this but I would taste this if you cooked it for me. Refried beans are just mashed up beans and I may just try to fry some up! I just simply can't eat any rice except fried rice......